Sunday 19 August 2012

French Plunge corset 1905

Today I have finally got a day to think, and draw and paint. It is luxury to have a whole day to think things through.

Today I have been concentrating on things much neglected like research, inspiration and illustration. If the weather holds I'll also do a spot of gardening...

But, to more serious stuff. Today I am going to start on a new and challenging corset. I am going to re-make (or as close as I can approximate from photo's, my notes and my intuition) the C2 corset from the Symington collection. This corset is on almost permanent display so I have not had a chance to study it in hand so I am hoping my guesswork will surfice.

This the best picture of it I have found: 

The C2 is a museum reference number. It was designed and made in France around 1905 and has an atypical plunge front. It is made from black sateen, has a white cotton lining, a waist stay, inner bone casings and pushed the body into the fashionable s-bend shape required of the early Edwardian period.

So...my first step was to check over my notes and gain information about it's construction and put that into illustration:


Since the corset can only be viewed from the front I am going to hvae to guess at the back stylines by comparison with it's contemporaries. I am going to use this advert as a reference because I can compare front and back.

Well, that's it for now...better get started.

2 comments:

  1. Only 2 suspenders; are they for the stockings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when stockings were introduced they were only attached to the front of the corset. There are no attachments for suspenders on the rear of the corset.

    I have another post on this corset from my research on the Symington collection:

    http://curvecouturecorsets.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/corset-analysis-research-c2-4th-oct2012.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...