Wednesday 27 June 2012

Studio matters

Snatching some quiet time to write this post on my recent musings about being a full time mother and working full time from home aswel.

I used to have a nice studio in central Brighton before I had my son Riley. It was convenient, nicely decorated and kept me fit running up and down  four flights of stairs constantly. It was a given that motherhood would change my life, but actually I was totally unprepared for just how hard it would be to try to bring up Riley and remain true to my professional purpose. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first self employed mother to have this difficultly and I'm sure I won't be the last.

Aside from my work, both as mother and designer I also find myself missing the pure white walls of my previous studio, the awesome black carpet and the chandeliers that made it look...well, so much more presentable than my spare room and it has driven me to make my next DIY project my conservatory, which opens my studio out onto the back garden. As I have my afternoon coffee out here I am waking up to the potential of making this another useful business space.

This is what it looked like this morning:

   Now, this is actually tidy compared to a month ago when it also housed Andy's bike and some other random rubbish that hadn't been dealt with. So...what I intend to do is up-do the furniture (or get rid of it), re-paint the woodwork, install blinds and appropriate UV shielding and then do something with the floor. Outside I want to use plants in pots and hanging baskets to enhance the patio area. Lots of work to do so schedule for completion is about 3 months. So if I have it done by Christmas I'll consider myself lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...