A guest post by Zoe Van Spyk
We are very excited to be working on a Remembrance Day project and to show our support we have created a tutorial of how to make your own Poppy.
- 6 strips of red fabric 3 x 6 inches
- 4 inch square of foundation fabric
- 3 ½ inch circle of black fabric
- Fabric scissors
- Needle and thread
- Flower stamens
- Assorted Black, Red and Gold beads to decorate
- Pin back
2. Place two strips on top of each other to create a V shape. Stitch around the outer edge using a
gathering stitch then gather fabric tightly and tie off.
3. Repeat this for two more pairs.
4. Shape each set of petal with your fingers then stitch all three sets to the foundation, overlaying them to
form a circle. Arrange your stamens in the centre of the flower and stitch to secure.
5. Make a yo-yo for the centre. Stitch to the centre and distribute the stamens evenly around the yo-yo.
6. Add a pin back if desired.
7. To create that extra dimension you may also want to add some bead work.
For every Poppy you create we would love you to make a small donation to the Poppy Appeal and if you don't fancy making your own you can buy some beautiful Poppies from The Royal British Legions Poppy shop.
Buckley are particularly beautiful. The Crystal Poppy Brooch adds sparkle to any outfit and will make you look stylish throughout the year whilst showing your support for the British Armed Forces and their families.