Saturday 26 January 2013

Women's vintage Trouser suits




To go with my natty jackets I want to make some vintage inspired trousers (that's pants for my American readers). Now...in my mind I am thinking high waist, wide tapered leg, possibly pleated in the front which all sounds a bit 1930's or 1940's to me.







In the 1930's women's suits were modified from men's suits. Pleated front, straight leg, fitted waist front fly trousers with a half thigh length jacket.

In designer terms it was the French couturier Coco Chanel, who pioneered the fashionable trouser suit for women. Hollywood legends such as Marlene Dietrich, Katherine Hepburn and fashionable society women such as Wallace Simpson brought the trouser into the fashion spotlight well before it was adopted by the masses.

The advent of war meant trousers became the more practical garment for women who worked in the war effort.


 Great aren't they, off to do some designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...