Sunday, 8 January 2012

On a roll sewing today

In the previous post I was banging on about a Jenyns corset that I really love and want to have a go at, that was this morning.


So after I had seen all my clients today I set about putting that into motion. I found a 1911 corset pattern in the corset makers tome Corsets and Crinolines by Norah Waugh so that I could wrap my head around what shape corset was in vogue at the time. Unfortunately I don't have a photocopier or it would have made drafting the pattern a 20min exercise instead of an hour.

I always find it interesting to lay my pieces down and visualise the final shape it will force the body into:
I can see from here that my pattern piece 2 could do with being a little shorter and actually that the hip shaping is done through the triangular pieces and that the corset is designed to contour the bottom into a more streamline shape. I think this corset is also much shorter than I thought it would be, but I am absolutely sure that I have worked it from the book pretty well so my deduction is that this corset is designed for a woman shorter than the modern average woman. The truth will be in the mock up.

Mock up:

I admit that I hammered my way through this really quickly just to see the effect, so please forgive the slightly shonkyness...I'll be fixing that tomorrow, and putting the boning channels in for a proper test. After initial musings on this design on the dummy it looks like it has some very strange proportion thing going on so I will fix my little front seam boo up, and I think I will actually try it on me as I am both short and squishy and maybe I will get a better idea of exactly what this corset is trying to achieve.

Also today I have been putting stuff up on my wall to inspire me:

At the mment it's full of other people's photo's but pretty soon I'll be replacing them with my own fab designs. That is all for today, night.X
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...