Sunday 29 January 2012

Debutante dresses

A bit of a chilled day today, just some net gathering and bikini making planned for later. I am supposed to be having a day off after all!

This morning with my wake up mug of coffee I watched an amazing documentary on 'Debutantes', part of the Timewatch series on the BBC. There are some really great stories and insights from some real posh characters, and of course....the frocks!


Watching it really took me back to an exhibition at Kenny Palace called Débutante where they had genuine dresses from the last Débutante Ball in the 1950's. So here I am going to relive some of my favourite dresses from that exhibition, and how it is totally relevant to the collection 'Fleurs Du Mal' which I have been working on.

These are so pleasurable because they are so girly, almost demure. The detailing I love, particularly the pale blue roses and silver beading.
I'm so looking forward to revealing my final pieces, in time, and similarly enjoying sharing some of my thoughts, trials and tribulations along the way.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't these dresses just beautiful. I am doing my debutante ball next year and wish they made debutante dresses like they used to. I have just bought my debutante dress and love it, but I wish I could wear something truly classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are something special. I saw an exhibition at Kensington Palace, London called 'The Last Debutante' which had some exquisite dresses in it, here is a link to a photo I took from the exhibition: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/46167_425468329708_713006_n.jpg
      There are some other dresses from the same exhibit if you want to have a browse.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow they are truly classic debutante dresses. Thank you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...