Monday 3 May 2010

Carol harrison's wedding dress for Celebrity 4 Weddings

Carol Harrison contacted me about making her a 60's inspired wedding dress after her search for an appropriate vintage dress didn't come up trumps.

Right from the beginning Carol was full of great ideas and her knowledge of the fashion of the times hugely inspiring. She was set on her dress being long-sleeved and her materials of choice were beaded lace, silk and some form of ostrich trim. Carol has an ultra curvy shape so we decided to take advantage of her fantastic figure and create a baby doll shape dress that enhanced her decollete and showed of her stunning legs.

The 1960's is not a period of fashion history I was hugely familiar with so I had to do considerable research before I could get to grips with designing.  The main elements of 1960's fashion were clean crisp shapes, sharp pattern cutting, geometry and fabric and pattern experimamtation. We wanted to capitolise on the sexiness of the era without losing Carol's innate classyness.

Carol was an absolute joy to work for, and her knowledge and interest in  fashion uplifting. She even made time for fabric hunting in her busy schedule to find the perfect beaded lace, then we had to colour match the silk and ostrich trimming to the lace from there. We even had cover buttons made in matching pale pink silk and I made her an ostrich beaded alice band to match for the finishing touch to Carol's outfit.



I loved making Carol's dress, it pushed me to look at an era of fashion that hitherto I hadn't examined, expanded my skills and knowledge and allowed me to work with a wonderful lady.

The show Celebrity 4 Weddings was aired on Marhc 29th on Living channel. It was great to see the show, as I couldn't be at the wedding because of illness, and it was great that her dress went down well with the other celebrities.

Carol was even featured in OK magazine ( issue 717, March 23 2010)in which this photograph featured.
 Photo by Ed Watts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...